Brit dad, 57, named as man killed by 14ft great white shark in Australia

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

A great white shark has killed a British man in front of his helpless wife and grown-up kids.

Paul Millachip, 57, was swimming at a beach in Western Australia where he regularly takes a dip when a beast described by witnesses as 14ft long “came out of the blue”.

His wife has paid tribute to the dad-of-two, describing him as a "wonderful man" and "a wonderful father" at a press conference on Sunday afternoon.

A huge lifesaving effort saw boats and helicopters called out from 10 am Saturday morning after a group of teenagers told authorities they had seen the grim attack, reports the Daily Mail.

Mrs Millachip said her husband was set for a big 1km swim at Port Beach in North Fremantle when tragedy struck.

She thanked a group of four teenage boys who rushed to the shoreline when they spotted the danger Paul was in, reports.

"It must have been an absolutely terrifying experience for them, so my heart goes out to them, said Mrs Millachip who asked for her first name not to be published.

"I thank them for what they did. Amazing. They could potentially have saved other lives."

Her gratitude was echoed by the authorities.

Mark McGowan, the Western Australian Premier, labelled it a “terribly sad” incident and offered his condolences to the man’s loved ones.

  • Meghan Markle accused of using royal title 'out of context' to 'play in politics'

He said: “A very sad and horrific situation, and very difficult for the man and his family. A family is now grieving, a man has lost his life.

“The people who participated in getting the people out of the water — particularly the young men – I would like to thank them for all their efforts."

Mrs Millachip said she only went for a quick splash on Saturday morning because the water was too cold, but her partner of 35 years stuck with it.

She said: "We had been going down to the beach two or three times a week – we would go running first and then go swimming."

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

"He was due to swim for 1km on Saturday – I just went into the water and out again because it was cold and I’m not a huge fan of the cold water.

"He was a wonderful man, a wonderful father, and he loved his exercise."

Only goggles thought to belong to Mr Millachip were recovered in a search for his body which has now been halted.

WA Police Fremantle district office acting inspector Troy Douglas said the search would only resume if there was “reason”.

  • Twitter
  • Great White Shark
  • Teenagers
  • Police

Source: Read Full Article