The missing vessel carrying five people including a Brit to see the wreck of the Titanic is thought to only have 96-hours worth of oxygen on board.
The Boston Coast Guard said that as of today (June 19), a search operation was under way for five people who went missing the night before.
OceanGate Expeditions, the private company that organises deep sea expeditions, confirmed in a statement that it owned the missing submersible and that people were on board.
READ MORE: 'Doctors were adamant I had depression, but I've had Long Covid for two years'
Meteorologist and journalist Steve Norris confirmed that the vessel only has 96 hours of oxygen stored on-board – leaving less than 72-hours remaining to find the the crew before the air runs out.
This claim was backed up by David Pogue, who had interviewed members of the crew for his Unsung Science podcast.
Hamish Harding, a well-known British explorer and businessman, has been confirmed as one of the missing people by his stepson.
Posting to Facebook, he said: "Hamish Harding my stepfather has gone missing on submarine thoughts and prayers."
Is is being reported that the submarine only has 96-hours of oxygen on-board.
Hunt for alien life gets major boost from breakthrough on one of Saturn's moons
Small subs have been used on occasion to take paying tourists down to the bottom of the ocean to look at the wreck of the famous ship, sunk in 1912 after colliding with an iceberg.
The wreck of the "unsinkable" boat is some 3,800m (12,500ft) down at the bottom of the ocean off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada.
Some 1,500 of the 2,200 people who were on board the cruiseliner lost their lives when the ship went down as it made its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York.
Putin breaks silence on 'true friend' Silvio Berlusconi's death as he 'admired his wisdom'
The wreckage of the Titanic was discovered in 1985 and has since been thoroughly explored by both professional divers and now tourists.
Tourism around the wreck is costly, with a trip last year run by firm Ocean Gate costing a group $250,000 to go on a 10-day expedition, eight of which saw them dive to a depth of 2.4 miles, according to a tourist brochure.
The company announced earlier this year it would be running a mission to the wreck in the summer of 2023.
The plan for the mission said: "Given the massive scale of the wreck and the debris field, multiple missions performed over several years will be required to fully document and model the wreck site.
To get more stories from Daily Star delivered straight to your inbox sign up to one of our free newsletters here.
Source: Read Full Article