Brit tourist who died downing Jamaican cocktails in hotel pool pictured

A British tourist who died at a Jamaica hotel after trying to drink all of the cocktails on the menu has been pictured.

Timothy Southern, 53, had sampled 12 of the 21 drinks on offer from the pool bar at the Royal Decameron Club Caribbean in Saint Ann before his tragic death.

Mr Southern's family, who were on the ill-fated trip with him, have paid tribute to the late dad and launched a GoFundMe fundraiser to bring his body home to his native Staffordshire and pay for his funeral.

READ MORE: Locked up kids found eating mattress foam in poo-smeared 'house of horrors'

"As you're all probably aware; unfortunately our dad, Timmy Southern passed away whilst on holiday in Jamaica," the page read.

"We know dad was loved by so many with friends all over the world, the biggest character most would ever come across.

"We're hoping by doing this we could try to raise as much money as we can to get him home so that we, as a family, get to say our goodbyes. Anything that is left over from the funds we raise will go to the MIND charity."

An inquest has ruled Mr Southern's death was alcohol-related.

The dad, from Lichfield, had already been drinking brandy and beer before he began the task of downing the cocktails.

  • Brit tourist dies choking on vomit after trying to drink hotel's entire cocktail menu

It is understood he then met two Canadian women who told him they were trying to drink all 21 tipples on offer before midnight to celebrate one of their birthdays.

Sadly he died after completing more than half of the menu and heading back to his hotel room, where a family member found him choking on his own vomit.

Relatives who were on holiday with him have now slammed the way Mr Southern was treated in his final moments.

Speaking of the May 2022 incident at an inquest, one loved one recalled: "He was on his back choking. I put him in the recovery position and screamed for an ambulance.

"He was making a gurgling sound. As soon as he was in the recovery position he vomited. I was shouting his name with no response.

"When the nurse arrived I said had an ambulance been called and she said, 'No'. I thought she would take over. But that was not the case. I noticed he was starting to lose temperature. I checked his pulse and couldn't find it.

"She said he had a pulse. I was starting to lose it. I got a full look at his face and I thought he had passed away.

"I said, 'Don't just sit there looking at him, start CPR'. She only gave him chest compressions. Maybe if she had known what she was doing, maybe he would still be here. The service and treatment he received was disgusting."

A pathologist in Kingston said the cause of death was "acute gastroenteritis due to alcohol consumption", but toxicology reports could take up to three years to come back from Jamaica, according to the inquest.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article