A bloke who was munching a Marks and Spencer chicken meal claims a finger nail he mistook for gristle got lodged in his teeth.
Jason Davies claimed he and his partner Deborah Stacey were left in a state of "shock" after making the grim discovery, and the pair say they will now boycott the store, according to Plymouth Live.
Deborah Stacey, 61, purchased the sweet and smokey spatchcock chicken – which is part of the M&S dine-in for £12 deal for two – on Saturday, September 2, in a Plymouth shopping centre.
READ MORE: Inside job not ruled out as £20k reward put up to snare terror suspect Daniel Khalife
"A bit of gristle" then got stuck in Jason's teeth when he sat down to eat the grub the next day. Jason then inspected the 'gristle' and was "disgusted" to see it was what he believes to be a fingernail.
He has now vowed never to shop at the store again. Marks and Spencer has said it takes the quality of its food "extremely seriously" and is investigating the matter, providing updates to Deborah.
Speaking to PlymouthLive, Deborah said: "We bought it on Saturday and we ate it on Sunday. When my partner was eating it and he thought it was a bit of gristle. It ended up being a fingernail."
"He thought it was disgusting. He said he won't eat a chicken ever again from there. Obviously it wasn't checked when they did their hygiene stuff."
Deborah, from Stoke, says she "doesn't trust" M&S now and "we'll probably switch to Aldi". She added: "I was just shocked. He thought it was my fingernail, but my fingernails are short so it definitely wasn't mine. It's horrible."
Babenation viewers' anticlimax as adult channels taken over by Queen's funeral
Deborah alerted M&S to the incident that day and was asked to send the evidence to them.
They confirmed they would look into the matter and would reimburse Deborah's postage costs in the form of an "e-gift card".
Deborah has since posted the packaging, along with the suspected fingernail to M&S and been informed the investigation could take upto six weeks.
An M&S Spokesperson said: “We take the quality of our food extremely seriously and are investigating with our supplier. We are keeping the customer updated as we investigate.”
For the latest stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Source: Read Full Article